Friday, February 8, 2013

Scalloped Potatoes with Ham



What is better on a cold winter night that a dish of cheesy potatoes?  I have never been a fan of scalloped or au gratin potatoes.  I have to admit that I have never made them.  I am sure the ones I have had in the past have been from a box (not there is anything wrong with food in a box).  I kept thinking, why would I not like the combo of cheese sauce and potatoes?  So starts my mission to make my own.  And guess what?  I LOVE them!!!!  The recipe I found was from www.southern.food.com.  I decided to add ham to make it a complete meal. It was super simple and my WHOLE family loved it!  That is saying a lot when my hubby AND kids love it (my kids are picky eaters).

Scalloped Potatoes with Ham

4 Cups thinly sliced potatoes
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 Cups milk
1 tsp salt
1 dash Cheyenne pepper
1 1/2 grated Cheddar cheese divided
2 Cups diced ham

Peel and thinly slice potatoes.  For this I used a mandolin.  Potatoes were sliced in 1 minute!  In a small  sauce pan melt butter.  Whisk in flour and let bubble for minute.  Stir in milk and whisk till smooth.  Add salt and Cheyenne pepper and cook on low till the sauce thickens.  Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of cheese.  Place one layer of potatoes in a greased 9x13.  Pour 1/2 of cheese sauce over potatoes and spread.  Evenly sprinkle ham over sauce and potatoes.  Layer on the rest of the potatoes and then add the rest of the sauce.  Top with the remaining cheese.  Bake at 350* for 60 min. 

1 comment:

  1.  Delicious idea! I'll try this with my picky eaters too.  ツ

    ReplyDelete